Stanford is Kentucky’s second oldest city, founded in 1775 by Benjamin Logan as Logan’s Fort. It was also known as St. Asaph, the name given to it by Logan. The site of the original fort is about a mile west of the courthouse and an effort is underway to rebuild the fort. The name Stanford may have been derived from “Standing Fort,” which Fort Logan became known as in the late 1770s after surviving a lengthy attack by Native Americans.
Kentucky Soaps & Such on Main Street makes Plainview Farm goat milk soaps, body creams, scrubs and more. Call ahead or stop in and ask for a tour of the soap-making facility when you visit. The store also carries other fine hand-crafted products, including pottery, books, gourmet food, and jewelry. Kentucky artwork is also available in the store. Stop in and experience the uniqueness this shop has to offer!
In 2012, Bluebird Executive Chef William B. Hawkins returned to his roots and partnered with Marksbury Farm Market and Jess and Angela Correll to open Central Kentucky’s premier farm-to-table restaurant — The Bluebird Cafe. Featuring produce from local farmers and exclusively serving meat from Garrard County’s Marksbury Farm, The Bluebird is committed to bringing visitors simple, Southern fare that’s as fresh as the tomatoes they grow out back.
On Main Street in Stanford is the recently renovated First Southern National Bank. Step inside the lobby and view the old pictures of downtown Stanford.
Marksbury Farm Market is a small scale, locally-owned butcher shop, farm market, and processing facility. Partnered with local farmers who share a commitment to sustainable, humane, and natural production methods, Marksbury Farm Market uses traditional and modern methods to deliver an array of high quality, healthy, and fresh products. Marksbury is the proud provider of all meat for The Bluebird Cafe.
Angela Correll is the author of Grounded and Guarded. She lives on a farm in Central Kentucky with her husband and an assortment of grass-fed cattle, horses, goats, and chickens. She is the creator and owner of Kentucky Soaps & Such, concept designer for the Wilderness Road Guest Houses & Rooms, and co-owner of The Bluebird Cafe with her husband, Jess, and restaurant Executive Chef William Hawkins.
- Blue Monday-Pink Tuesday, 305 W Main Street, 606-669-2803
- Hilltop Florist, 102 Portman Avenue, 606-365-9240
- Kentucky Soaps & Such, 203 W Main Street, 606-365-0808
- Morgan’s on Main, 114 W Main Street, 606-669-9168
- Patriot Petals Florist, 507 E Main Street, 606-365-3161
- Perfectly Practical Essentials for Home and Body, 114 W Main Street, 606-304-1248
- Silver Bullett Pawn, 111 E Main Street, 606-365-8861
- Standing Fort Country Collectables, 301 Danville Avenue, 606-510-7948
- Stanford Upholstery and Antiques, 210 W Main Street, 606-365-3857
- The Rabbit Hole, 713 E Main Street, 606-510-1156
- Your Village Shoppe, 217 W Main Street, 606-365-8833
- 4 Generations Ice Cream Shop, 204 W Main Street, 606-365-1003
- Bluebird, 202 West Main Street, 606-365-1010
- Coleman’s Deli, 105 W Main Street, 606-365-2164
- Kentucky Depot Restaurant, 119 Metker Trail, 606-365-8040
Other Nearby Restaurants:
- Beaumont Inn, 638 Beaumont Inn, Harrodsburg, 859-734-3381
- Bluegrass Pizza & Pub, 314 W Main Street, Danville, 859-236-7737
- Brother’s BBQ, 464 S 4th Street, Danville, 859-236-3600
- Jane Barleycorn’s, 130 S 4th Street, Danville, 859-236-9774
- Pasture at Marksbury Farm, 7907 Ky Hwy 27, Lancaster, 859-754-4224
- Shaker Village, 3501 Lexington Road, Harrodsburg, 800-734-3381
Historic Sites include the following:
- Buffalo Springs Cemetery – 630 Hwy 78
- Isaac Shelby Cemetery – Hwy 300
- Lincoln County Courthouse – 102 East Main Street Genealogy records date 1779, 606-365-2533
- Historic L & N Depot – 1866 Depot Street Museum and Community Center, 606-365-0207
- McCormack Church – Moores Lane, Stanford, KY
- Old Presbyterian Meeting House and Museum – Home of the Lincoln County Historical- 315 West Main, 606-365-2503
- William Whitley House State Historic Site, 625 William Whitley Road, 606-355-2881. The William Whitley House, also known as Sportsman’s Hill, stands today as a monument to pioneer ingenuity and resourcefulness. It was the first brick home and circular racetrack built west of the Alleghany Mountains, completed in 1794 by William Whitley and his wife Esther. Dubbed the “Guardian of Wilderness Road,” the house was a gathering spot for early Kentuckians, including George Rogers Clark and Daniel Boone. During the 1780s and 1790s, the Whitleys felt secure enough to build the brick home and a circular race track and held race meetings each autumn. The track was unique in the nation because it was the first circular design and was built of clay instead of using turf. It is felt that the American practice of racing counter-clockwise began at this track, in response to anti-British feeling at the time. The British raced in a clockwise direction.
- The site of Logan’s Fort, one of the first three forts built in Kentucky as the colonists pushed west into the new frontier.
- Cedar Creek Lake, www.cedarcreeklakeky.com
- Lancaster Grand Theatre, 117 Lexington Road, Lancaster, 859-583-1716
- Pioneer Playhouse, 840 Stanford Road, Danville, 859-236-2747
- Norton Center for the Arts, 600 W. Walnut St., Danville, 859-236-4692
- Renfro Valley Entertainment Center, 2380 Richmond St., Mt. Vernon, 800-765-7464